This week’s episode:
On the market:
- The market likes the President no question about that. Stock prices are moving higher thanks to the “Trump Bump,” but we continue to believe a market correction is coming. President Trump’s inauguration speech was good for the country but bad for the market, says Jim Rogers, one of the world’s most successful investors. He’s worried that putting “America first” will spark a trade war. That’s another problem for investors now that US companies are so international in their operations.
On retiring on a defined benefit pension:
- How safe is your money if you’re paying into, or receiving payments from, a defined benefit pension plan? The Department of Labor says 250 pension plans are “critical or endangered” and do not have enough money to cover their obligations to you. These plans will need years of strong financial markets to recover. If they don’t recover, they will have to cut your payments and you may lose everything you’ve put in. Here’s an example: Google “Teamsters Union Pension Fund Central States 2016” and read about what’s happened.
- Even if your plan is in good shape you may be losing out to inflation and we can help you do better. There’s a lot happening — come and talk to us.
FAQ from Clients: How does my 401k work?
Can you answer these key questions? If not come and see us:
- What are my options?
- Am I in the right investments?
- How have I been doing?
- Am I on track for a good retirement?